The School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC)
year of establishment: 1866
address: 37 South Wabash Avenue
Founded as the Chicago Academy of Design in 1866, its purpose was to provide a challenging education in the studio arts and exhibition opportunities for its students. The School incorporated as the Chicago Academy of Fine Art in 1879, and changed its name to the Art Institute of Chicago in 1882. The Museum and School moved into a building designed and built for the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893. Today the School is known as the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC).